Your Guide to Starting a Business in Manitoba

Last Verified:

A common question when starting a business is: “Where do I start?” This guide to starting a business in Manitoba will provide you with key considerations, next steps, and contact information to get your business up and running.

Please note: this guide is not all encompassing. There may be additional things you need for your particular business.

Plan your business

Evaluate your idea

Can you make money from this business? Is there a market for your product/service?

Market research

Conduct research on the market, the industry, and your competition.

Find information from the World Trade Centre Winnipeg | Business InfoCentre.  Customized research can be obtained from both centres.

Develop a business plan

Your business plan will help you determine start-up costs, identify your customers, understand your market potential, determine what strategy(s) you will use to promote your business, and develop financial projections. A business plan is usually required to access funding.

Business plan templates

Templates for business planning can be found online, the Futurpreneur Website, or through your financial institution.

Business plan samples

Financing your business

How will you finance your business? Along with your own money, additional funding may be provided through commercial loans and other financial programs.

Visit Entrepreneurship Manitoba's financial programs page and the Canada Business Network for a list of financial programs..

Choose a business structure

Before you register your business, you will have to choose your business structure (Sole Proprietorship, Partnership or Corporation). View Entrepreneurship Manitoba's Choose your Business Structure article to learn more.

Develop your business skills

You can attend workshops and seminars to help develop your skills. See below for some training options.

Seminar presenter

Getting Started

Register a business name

If you choose to carry on a business under a name other than your own name, you must register with the Companies Office. Sole proprietors who are carrying on business under their own name (ex: Jane Smith operating as “Smith Plumbing", does not have to register.

Note: the sole owner is required to display a sign at their business showing his or her full name. Partnerships and Corporations must be registered with the Companies Office.

Step 1: Business Name Reservation

Submit a “Request for Business Name Reservation” for approval online or in person.

Step 2: Register Business

Register the business with your chosen business structure (see "Choose a business structure" above) using your name approval.

Once your business is been registered, the Companies Office will issue you a 9-digit Business Number (BN).

Contact information
Companies Office, Entrepreneurship Manitoba
1010 - 405 Broadway
Winnipeg MB  R3C 3L6
Phone: 204-945-2500
Toll Free: 1-888-246-8353 (in Manitoba)

Open a business bank account

Visit your local financial institution to open a business bank account.

You will have to provide:

  • your Business Number
  • a copy of your Business Registration documentation, and
  • your partnership agreement, if applicable.

Register a domain name (URL)

Consider reserving a domain name for your business to create your website and get a custom email address. Visit the Canadian Internet Registration Authority at to see if your .ca website name is available.

Apply for a business license

Contact your local municipal office to determine whether you need a Business License.

Check out BizPaL

BizPaL (Business Permits and Licences) is a free online tool that provides information on the permits and licences you may need, from all levels of government, to start and grow your business in Manitoba. Visit BizPaL now

City of Winnipeg, License Branch
Main Floor - 395 Main Street
Winnipeg MB  R3B 3N8 (corner of Main Street and McDermot Avenue)
Phone: 204-986-2234 or 311

Apply for a building and/or occupancy permit

Contact the City of Winnipeg or your local municipal office to find out if you need a home or building occupancy permit.

More resources:

City of Winnipeg, One Stop Shop Permit Branch
Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street
Winnipeg MB  R3C 4X3
Phone: 204-986-5410 or 311

Brandon Area & Planning
638 Princess Avenue
Brandon MB  R7A 0P3
Phone: 204-729 2121

Apply for a direct sellers/vendors license

You may be required to obtain a provincial direct sellers/vendors license if you are planning to sell door-to-door, advertise in the form of business cards, flyers, on a vehicle, etc. Apply for registration in Manitoba as a manufacturer, renovator or home hobby/craft operator of bedding and other upholstered or stuffed articles.

Consumer Protection Office
Winnipeg: 204-945-3800 | Toll free: 1-800-782-0067

Register for tax accounts


The Retail Sales Tax (RST or PST) is a tax applied to the retail sale or rental of most goods and certain services in Manitoba.  Any person carrying on a business in Manitoba (except for small businesses with annual taxable sales under $10,000) must have a valid RST/PST number.

Manitoba Finance, Taxation Division
Winnipeg: 204-945-6444 | Toll Free: 1-800-564-9789
Brandon:   204-726-6578 | Toll Free: 1-800-782-0318


The goods and services tax (GST) is a tax that applies to most supplies and services in Canada.  A business whose total taxable revenues before expenses are $30,000 or less in the last four consecutive calendar quarters are not required to register.

Canada Revenue Agency
Toll Free: 1-800-959-5525

Business taxes

Contact the municipality where you plan to open your business.

Corporation capital tax

Contact Manitoba Finance

Sole Proprietor

As a sole proprietor, you may have to pay your tax by installments.  You may also need to make instalment payments for Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions on your own income.

Maintain business records

You are required by law to keep records of all your transactions to support your income and expenses. Tax documents must be kept for the current year plus six years. Other documents may have other retention periods.  It is best to consult with an accountant, lawyer, HR professional, industry professional, or ARMA International for further guidance.


In addition to insuring your property and business assets, consider other forms of insurance such as liability, disability, business interruption, errors & omissions, inventory and bonding.

Open an import/export account

If you plan to import or export commercial goods, you will need to add an import/export account to your Business Number by contacting Canada Revenue Agency.

There are several other factors you must consider when importing or exporting, including

  • import/export controls
  • packaging and labeling requirements, and
  • international trade agreements

More information:
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Toll Free: 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada)

World Trade Centre Winnipeg
Winnipeg: 204-253-4888

Know Your Industry

Know the laws and regulations of your industry

Determine which municipal, provincial, or federal government departments regulate your industry.

Join local affiliations

Consider joining a Chamber of Commerce or industry association to network with other business owners and get the most up to date information on your industry.

Support Your Employees

Comply with Manitoba Employment Standards

Make sure you are aware of your requirements as an employer under the Employment Standards Act.

Employment Standards Manitoba
Winnipeg: 204-945-3352 | Toll Free: 1-800-821-4307
Brandon:  204-726-6370

Remit payroll deductions

As an employer, you are responsible for deducting Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions, employment insurance (EI) premiums and income tax from employee salaries, wages, or any other type of income and remitting them to Canada Revenue Agency. Using your Business Number, open a Payroll Deductions account and remit these deductions monthly.

Canada Revenue Agency
Phone: 1-800-959-5525

Register with the Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba

The workers compensation system is an injury and disability insurance for workers and employers, paid by employers. As an employer, you must register for Workers Compensation from the moment you have your first employee, whether you are paying wages or not. Self-employed individuals can also obtain personal coverage.

Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba
Winnipeg: 204-954-4321 | Toll Free: 1-855-954-4321
Brandon:   204-571-4870 | Toll Free: 1-877-437-4870

Maintain a safe and healthy workplace

As an employer, it is your responsibility to ensure you are providing a safe and healthy work environment for your employees. For more information on maintaining a safe and healthy workplace, please see:

Build Your Team of Experts