The Journeyperson Business Start Program encourages newly certified journeypersons living in rural Manitoba to start their own full-time businesses.
This article is meant for certified journeypersons who have received their Certificate of Qualification within the past six years.
If you are a certified journeyperson and have received your Certificate of Qualification within the past six years you may be eligible to receive a grant of up to $2,500. This grant is meant to help you cover the costs of starting a trade-related business in rural Manitoba.
The program will provide a contribution based on 50 percent of eligible purchases. Eligible purchases may include:
- leasehold and building improvements
There is an 18 month eligibility period for purchase transactions. Purchases must occur within six months before your business start date up to 12 months after the start date of your business.
Applications must be submitted within one year of starting the business.
- be a certified journeyperson who has received their Certificate of Qualification within the past six years
- live in rural Manitoba (located outside the perimeter of the City of Winnipeg)
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- have completed the business skills training and submit a business plan or business plan summary
- be working at their business on a full-time basis (minimum 30 hours per week)
- be involved in all aspects of their business on a day-to-day basis
- have not owned a similar business in the past 24 months
- prove that all purchases are at fair makret value in the event that an existing business ventures' assets are purchased
Business ventures must:
- reside in rural Manitoba (located outside the perimeter of the City of Winnipeg)
- have started within the past 12 months of the date the program receives your application
- operate full-time and be permanent in nature (seasonal stoppage not more than three months per year)
- provide the principal applicant with full-time self employment (minimum 30 hours per week)
- exist to make a profit
- prove to be viable through the business plan or business plan summary
Business skills development training
The Journeyperson Business Start Program requires applicants to complete training that covers business planning, finance and marketing.
Eligible training includes
- Entrepreneurship Manitoba’s Business Planning Workshop,
- Futurpreneur Canada's Business Planning for Start-ups Video Series or,
- A combination of seminars, webinars or videos delivered by:
Additional training: trade contractors webinar
This trade contractors webinar does not qualify as part of the eligible training, but we think you'll find it valuable.
What you will learn
This trade contractors webinar can help you learn how to better protect your business with six often misunderstood areas of compliance for trade contractors.
Business plan or business plan summary
Applicants must submit a business plan or a business plan summary with their application. The business plan must describe your business venture and show viability. Templates are listed below.
How to apply
Your application to the program must include the following items:
- application form (including Schedule 1 – Claim Calculation Form)
- receipts or invoices that show the item, payment type, vendor and transaction date for each eligible purchase
- proof of payment (ex: cancelled cheques, bank statements or credit card statements) for each eligible purchase
- Certificate of Qualification
- evidence of the business start date (ex: business bank account, business name registration or business number)
- valid partnership agreement or articles of incorporation (if applicable)
- completion of the business skills training (include a copy of your Business Planning Workshop Certificate if applicable)
- business plan or business plan summary
- other supporting documents (if applicable)
Please make a copy of all correspondence for your records and do not send originals.
- Journeyperson Business Start Program Application
- Journeyperson Business Start Program Guidelines
- Business plan summary template
Mail, email or fax the completed application package to:
Journeyperson Business Start Program
Manitoba Growth, Enterprise and Trade
Room 157, 340 - 9th Street
Brandon, Manitoba R7A 6C2
Phone: 204-726-6250, Toll free: 1-855-542-5113